Tuesday 24 September 2013

The Starting Off Project Week Five: Blusher



Hello everyone! We're onto the fifth week of The Starting Off Project, how quickly has that gone? As you've probably already guessed, this weeks product is Blusher, and oh, how I love it. 

Blusher is something that can be used to add a pop of colour to your cheeks, for those of us not fortunate enough to have a natural rosy glow. It can be brushed on in different places depending on your face shape and what you personally prefer: those of you with quite a narrow or slender face may find blusher suits you better when applied to the apples of the cheek (think of a classic clown cheek, but much more flattering and subtle!) to create the illusion of a fuller face, and if you're like me and you're already blessed or cursed with a nicely round face then applying blusher from just below the temple downwards may flatter you a little more. 

Blusher comes in all sorts of different forms. Above I have pictured the Natural Collection Blusher in Pink Cloud, available for just £1.99 and Bourjois Pastel Joues Blusher in Pink Frission which is a little more expensive at £7.99, and these are both powder blushers. I don't think these are the best or the longest lasting (although I do get a few hours wear out of them) but they're definitely the easiest to get the hang of. Simply dabble your brush in the colour - I recommend the Real Techniques Blusher brush or the MAC 128 Split Fibre cheek brush - tap off the excess and dust where you desire! If you find a blusher, like the two above, that are well pigmented then one sweep is probably all you need, but if you prefer a bolder look you can easily pat more on.

There are also cheek tints, which I have dabbled in. The one I tried was Benefit's Cha Cha Tint which is actually made for lips and cheeks, but I must say I wasn't a fan. It looked great on the lips but did dry them out a little, but I just couldn't apply it as flawlessly as I'd have liked to. It ended up streaky and just generally not so great, which was such a shame because the product itself is wonderful! If you're a little more of a blusher pro you could probably work really well with a cheek tint, but if you're like me I'd either steer clear or do some YouTube tutorial studying beforehand!

Of course it doesn't stop there. There are even cream blushers, which I do like but haven't yet found the one. You can get these either cream to powder, similar to the Bourjois Cream Blusher or just cream based. These are probably the longest lasting but try moving onto these once you've fully gotten the hang of your makeup - I've been wearing it since I was 13 and have only very recently ventured off into the land of cream blush. Keep your eyes peeled for notes and reviews on some cream blushes on here in the future!

I think I've made my ode to the pink cheek a little too obvious here, this is clearly one of my more lengthy posts and I could easily go on, but I'll grind it to a halt here. I sincerely hope this helps any of you makeup rookies out there, leave a comment below if you enjoyed it or would like to know more!

xo

5 comments :

  1. I've always wanted to try one of Bourjois Cream blushes - or any cream blushes for that matter!

    Hayfa
    http://londonloafers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bourjois cream blushers come in some really lovely shades but I'm just not loving the whole cream to powder thing - I mean, I have powder blushers, so why wouldn't I just use them? I've heard some very good things about tarte though, might be worth looking into!

      xo

      Delete
  2. Such a helpful post, great job! I'm definitely a powder blusher girl! xx

    http://ferdies-place.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same haha! I've been using the Bourjois powder blusher since I was 13... that's dedication! They last for ages, something I think I'll always have in my collection and I think I try a different shade every time!

      xo

      Delete
  3. I can't seem to find a crème blush that I like either! love your post!

    darryll ox - darryllsbeautyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete